Jan 11, 2016· Why Propylene Glycol Is so Dangerous for Cats. Cats, with their unique physiology, are extremely sensitive to many substances other animals are not. In the case of propylene glycol, just a small amount can cause Heinz body hemolytic anemia, a condition in which red blood cells are destroyed. Symptoms of the condition include:
Aug 20, 2015· Propylene glycol vapour IS toxic to cats. Probably in a few years, this will be a well known fact and unfortunately there had to be some people to first experience it. Anyway, this is a message from one lover to others in the hope some cats and owners will be spared what I and my cats have had to go through.
While dogs and humans can tolerate small amounts of propylene glycol in their diet, cats cannot. Cats are extremely sensitive to this chemical! Small amounts of propylene glycol ingestion in cats can cause something called Heinz body anemia. This is the same type of problem that happens when a ingests too much onion or garlic.
Propylene glycol is not toxic. Ethylene glycol is the substance in engine coolant which will damage internal organs, especially the kidneys. Check out …
Propylene Glycol is occasionally used as an ingredient in vitamins, pharmaceuticals and other products made for cats. The use of Propylene Glycol in this way is unlikely to affect your because of the infrequency and low dosage given.
Propylene glycol is a chemical that can be used as a less toxic antifreeze, and is also used as an additive in some health and beauty products, dog and food, medications, and even food .
The acute oral toxicity of propylene glycol is very low, and large quantities are required to cause perceptible health effects in humans; in fact, propylene glycol is three times less toxic than ethanol.
Additionally, the fact that propylene glycol has historically been found to cause harm to cats when used in food can easily be misinterpreted as also causing harm to dogs when used in dog food. "Dogs are much less at risk than cats from many chemicals, propylene glycol included," Brutlag says.
Propylene glycol can make cats extremely sick. Propylene glycol is a colorless, odorless synthetic liquid that absorbs water. This quality makes the chemical extremely versatile as an additive to everything from antifreeze to food.
Propylene Glycol. It is also used as a solvent for food colors, flavors and pharmaceuticals (i.e. injectable diazepam). Cats are particularly sensitive to PG and its use is not allowed in foods. Historically, some semi-moist foods contained up to 5-10% PG and cats were harmed by this (Heinz body formation).